2019/2020 KC Metro Handball League
- Tony Orel
- Nick Scherzer
- Danny Cates/Nick Scherzer
- Paul Pfannenstiel/Jake Esser
- Chris Herbig/Bill Skelly
- Chris Storm/Adam Azeltine*
- The league will cost on average $25 per player. Approximate breakdown is $10 to The J KC, $6 awards/operating, $9 balls.
- To make budget, each team’s commitment will be $300.
- Team total is due by the 5th week of the season
- Captains are free to demand different amounts required from their players due to variable participation.
- The financial requirements were based on what will make the league great and last year’s turnout. Historically, there were 65 players active more than 50%. If we receive full payment from 65 players, we will have budgeted:
- $510 for 1 case of USHA 21 handballs.
- $1,000 to pay The J KC for use of facilities.
- $411 for trophies and operating expenses.
- League budget will be fully transparent among paid participants throughout the year.
- Any remaining monies from league will be added to banquet, saved for 2020 league budget, or used in another way decided by vote from captains.
- The J KC charges $5 for non-members on league night.
- Regular Season: November 14th – February 20th
- Postseason: February 27th and March 7th
- No league: Nov 28th, Dec 26th, Jan 23rd
- There may be unplanned league cancellation for weather or facility closure. Notices will be posted on the KCAC site
IV. COURT SCHEDULE
- Due to less courts available, you are required to be at your court 5 minutes before your scheduled match. If you are not present, then whoever is not present will make up their match on their own time or they will forfeit
- There are 4 courts at The J KC.
- Courts 1 & 2: Available from 6pm until close on Thursday for league.
- Courts 1, 2 & 3: Available from 1pm until 3pm on Saturday for league.
- Scheduling your match against your opponent during a time outside of league and at a different location is welcome. Please communicate your intention with your captain and update with results. You will also need to reserve your court and provide your own ball.
- You and your opponent must be a member of The J KC to play league matches outside of league hours
V. RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE CAPTAINS
- Communicate with your players (E-Mail, Phone etc)
- Know who can play
- Try to work everyone in without jeopardizing your wins
- Wednesday Deadline – All matches should be set and posted by Wednesday night.
- Any conflicts regarding scheduling after Wednesday if not resolved by the captains will be resolved by the Commissioners
- Any match played by a member of another team is a forfeit
- There will be a double forfeit if both teams are unable to field a roster spot. This must be communicated to, and ultimately decided by, the commishes. In the past there have been disagreements over which captain truly “forfeit” when both tried to field a roster spot. This is why it will be the commishes discretion. If a commish is a participating captain, then he cannot decide. If both commishes are participating, then Bob Frey will decide.
- Trades are allowed during the first 10 weeks of the league provided that the trades are registered with the Co-Commissioners prior to the next scheduled league night. Trades are no longer allowed after week 11 to avoid collusion.
VI. COMPETITIVE BALANCE
- When necessary, commissioners may act as mediators when two captains disagree on the competitive balance of a match. If by Thursday morning two captains cannot agree on the matchups of their submitted rosters, the commissioners will decide on the match or leave it as is. Changes may affect other singles or doubles matches if necessary. Commissioners will take into consideration limitations that a captain may have when creating their roster. If one of the commissioners is a captain of the team that is in arbitration, then a non-participating captain will be asked to provide input on the matchup to avoid any preferential treatment.
- There will be times where the best available players does not make the most competitive match. This will be considered and respected when matches appear unbalanced.
- The four teams will square off in a two week postseason bracket. The best record at the end of the season will play the 4th place finisher, and the 2nd place finisher will play the 3rd place finisher. The winners of each match will play in a final the following Thursday. The winners will be determined by total match wins. The team that wins the final match is determined the league champion.
- You have to play in 4 regular season games in order to compete in the postseason.
VIII. AWARDS AND BANQUET
There are individual prizes for regular season excellence voted on by majority captains based on regular season performance:
- Rookie of the year. Players new to the league that played in less than 3 weeks the prior season qualify. No age limit, skill limit will be decided by captains
- Junior of the year. Best player under 21
- Best Open player
- Best A player
- Best B player
- Best 50’s player
- Best 60’s player
Finalists for each category above will be based on each player’s regular season statistics submitted by commish. Then captains will vote on winner.
- League dues are used to purchase two cases of USHA 21 balls. We will use what we have throughout the season, and once we’re out, you’re on your own. If your game ball breaks, you don’t get another one.
- Each court gets a ball that week. On the court schedule, I will put a blue dot next to the person responsible for the ball every week. One player from the 5pm match will get their game ball from a designated captain that week. They will then be responsible for getting that ball to the 6pm designated player that is following them on that court. Matches that do not take place during scheduled league times do not get a game ball. The only exception will be if a 5pm match wants to start early at 3 or 4pm. But they are still responsible for making sure the person behind them gets the game ball.
- Failure to pass along a game ball will penalize that person from getting one in the future.
- If there are any balls remaining at the end of the year, they will be given to the award winners during the banquet.